Thursday, September 25, 2008

Jewish 101

For those of you that don't know, I'm a Baptist and PC is Jewish. Not that he practices much of the Jewish faith, but every now and then he puts his toe into the water. And, I kinda like it when he does. I think it's great actually. I like religion generally and am open to his, albeit different from mine. I believe in the Trinity and he believes Jesus could probably put that pocket door in our master bathroom for us effortlessly and with something good to say to boot. (Get it, Jewish carpenter reference.)
Anyways, I have been reading up on the Jewish faith and the holidays and such. Because after all I'm marrying this man and I would like to know about his faith....or lack thereof. I say that because I seem to have a better grasp on the holidays and what they mean more than he does. Lately, I feel that I might be the better Jew.
I know Rosh HaShanah is next Tuesday and I thought I would perhaps coax him into some religion for a change rather than him being a nay sayer all the time about religion. I even told him I would fast with him and not jump his bones for Pete's sake. So when I asked him about atonement and the things he wants to change or correct, he was like - what? what are you talking about? Like I said, I'm the better Jew here.
So I figured I would focus on something he would perhaps get into.......FOOD. (I was right) So I went online and pulled up some food to make for the week. Now I got his attention. For the most part, the dishes are easy to make and pretty inexpensive as well. Hell, I can do this.
However, the Matzo Ball soup is a bit labor intensive and more for one of those stay at home Jews. I have too much on my plate to attempt that one. Plus it just sounds yucky. I'm not sure what kinda animal a Matzo is and I don't think it's right to eat it's balls. When I told him I would make him Knishes he immediately said I love you. If I had know it was that easy, I would have cooked a knish for him sooner and perhaps would be married by now.
BTW, doesn't that look like Oreo (our cat)?????

No comments: